Finding the middle ground between Martha Stewart and Lindsay Lohan

There IS a middle ground. Much like one of the world's most beloved (and often times controversial) musical icons, Madonna has danced across that middle ground from one extreme to the next and has shown that one does not need to choose a side and that the best of both worlds can be embraced. To be a mother and enjoy baking with the kiddies and to enjoy wearing next to nothing while dancing on a stage in front of millions are not two personalities that must exist exclusive of each other.

For those of us who are through with the competition for mother of the year but still like to garden, for all you die hard party animals who've had their fill of borderline alcoholism and dancing but still cling to your collection of scandalous evening wear, we find ourselves here, stumbling over the stepping stones of those daring enough to go before us. For all you Marthas out there its time to bust out the bar tops and for all you Lindsays its time for some oven mits (and perhaps a fire extinguisher). Have no fear, if The Rock can be a Tooth Fairy then anything is possible!

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

NANOWRIMO

That time of year is upon us once more! For any of you writers out there I'm sure you know what I'm talking about when I refer to www.nanowrimo.org for any of you who don't have a clue it's short for national novel writing month and it happens every year in November.  People from across the globe pitch their creativity forward in a crazy ride towards a 50 000 word count minimum throwing all sense of caution and editing to the wind.  the goal being to actually write the novel we all to long have dreamed of writing only to edit to smithereens before it ever finishes leaving our minds and getting past the first few pages.  Awful writing is encouraged as it means one has given up all caution and fully given themselves over to the imagination that is creative writing.  All novels must be submitted before midnight on November 30th.
I for my part have been an admirer of this process for a long time and have been waiting for this month for a long time.  Last year I was in the process of moving so although I did write it wasn't a completed book by the end of the month.  I did hit my word count but I hadn't wrapped up my story.  That book has been stored away with a couple others I had put pen to paper on but never really knew where to take them.
So here we are on another novel writing month and I had a whole day of quiet.  no work and kids are off at school and I found myself scouring the net procrastinating and eating left over Halloween candy.  My major weakness has always been my unending distraction on the Internet and my lack of ability to write anything before 3am.  Tonight I think I might make a trip to Tim Horton's and park myself in the corner.  My room mate who works there has promised to keep me fueled with endless amounts of coffee and the lack of wifi I think will help.  Lets not forget the endlessly uncomfortable chairs they have for no reason I can comprehend beyond their high traffic flow.  I think I'd live there if only they had dimmer lighting and couches.
Beyond all that though, if you are a writer but haven't heard of the nanwrimo then get thee to the web page now and check it out! There is also a book called No Plot No Problem by Chris Baty who started it all (which is what got me going) that you should definitely check out as well.  If you have heard of Nanowrimo and are participating this year well then good luck and see you all at the finish line!  Now off to go attempt some writing for the day.  If I don't get distracted by something else first that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment