Finding the middle ground between Martha Stewart and Lindsay Lohan

There IS a middle ground. Much like one of the world's most beloved (and often times controversial) musical icons, Madonna has danced across that middle ground from one extreme to the next and has shown that one does not need to choose a side and that the best of both worlds can be embraced. To be a mother and enjoy baking with the kiddies and to enjoy wearing next to nothing while dancing on a stage in front of millions are not two personalities that must exist exclusive of each other.

For those of us who are through with the competition for mother of the year but still like to garden, for all you die hard party animals who've had their fill of borderline alcoholism and dancing but still cling to your collection of scandalous evening wear, we find ourselves here, stumbling over the stepping stones of those daring enough to go before us. For all you Marthas out there its time to bust out the bar tops and for all you Lindsays its time for some oven mits (and perhaps a fire extinguisher). Have no fear, if The Rock can be a Tooth Fairy then anything is possible!

Monday, November 1, 2010

Dirty Dancing!!

Oh man! Le sigh......alright my guilty admission is this, I had never seen dirty dancing until today, and what a movie it is! I can't believe I waited so long. Now I see what all the fuss is about.  It's funny though I mean as much as the dancing is great and Patrick Swayze (who I was never attracted to until this movie) is suddenly transformed into the man of every girl's dream, it's really the love story itself that I think sweeps people away.
In recent years they've tried to redo the dancing/love story movie into something more modern with the Step Up movies but they lack the real and true love story that's told in Dirty Dancing.  I'm not quite sure of whats missing but I'm guessing it's the strength of the bond.  I only come to this conclusion because of the recent almost fanatical obsession that is sweeping across North America like the flu.  Of course I'm referring to Twilight. 
There is a definite lack of true gentlemen left in this world but the fact remains that the hopes of meeting one who's willing to step out of the crowd and sweep us off our feet hasn't left our list of things to day dream about.  There's a fight for equality going on out there for women but it seems that there's no lack of desire for romance.  Why that seems to be flying out the window as we make more and more steps towards our goal of equality I'm not sure but one thing I do know is that it's nothing short of disappointing.
 I'm not sure if this is something that's really supposed to go both ways, I mean splitting the cost on the dates is the modern way of doing it and really not something I'm against but it's definitely blurring the lines of how to really treat a lady for some of the boys out there.  When was the last time someone held open a door or pulled out a chair for you? I know it seems almost over the top in formality but what happened to all of the little things guys used to do to make a girl feel special?  And is the reciprocation of that limited solely to a woman taking up the traditional role of stepping into the kitchen and really "taking care of" her man?  If it's limited to these gender stereotypes is it such a terrible thought to be made to participate in something that's viewed as so archaic as to undermine all our years of effort in the women's rights movement? I really don't think there's anything wrong with it some of the time, especially given it's still the women that are more often then not staying home with the children and taking care of the home anyway.
 So is it starting to turn out that the fight for equality is leading to more and more men being let off the hook for making an effort while women end up still doing most of what they had to do in the first place and often times more when they are expected to see to the domestic matters and hold an outside job?  Perhaps that's simply my experience but I do wonder if its becoming the norm out there.  HRMPH!
Anyway back to topic, Dirty Dancing is a fabulous movie.  I'm glad I finally got to see it as it was nice to be swept off my feet by Patrick Swayze even if it was just for a little while.  Now if only I could find that in reality.  Le sigh......

No comments:

Post a Comment