Finding the middle ground between Martha Stewart and Lindsay Lohan

There IS a middle ground. Much like one of the world's most beloved (and often times controversial) musical icons, Madonna has danced across that middle ground from one extreme to the next and has shown that one does not need to choose a side and that the best of both worlds can be embraced. To be a mother and enjoy baking with the kiddies and to enjoy wearing next to nothing while dancing on a stage in front of millions are not two personalities that must exist exclusive of each other.

For those of us who are through with the competition for mother of the year but still like to garden, for all you die hard party animals who've had their fill of borderline alcoholism and dancing but still cling to your collection of scandalous evening wear, we find ourselves here, stumbling over the stepping stones of those daring enough to go before us. For all you Marthas out there its time to bust out the bar tops and for all you Lindsays its time for some oven mits (and perhaps a fire extinguisher). Have no fear, if The Rock can be a Tooth Fairy then anything is possible!

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Mosaic art anybody?

I have always had a love of art however my own painting or sketching ability has never really been quite up to par with what I'd like to express.  That being said I believe anybody can create art, its simply a matter of finding the right medium.  Writing is a good way to express what I'm thinking in words and has always come quite naturally but sometimes it's nice to be able to just let go mentally and absorb oneself in the creation of something beautiful.  That being said I was recently at the site of an artist named Sonia King.  She brings the world of mosaic art to a whole other level and you must check her out.  http://www.mosaicworks.com/

Beyond the quality of a professional artist however I've always been attracted to mosaics for their free form beauty yet their lack of reliance on things like paintbrushes.  I almost feel when I look at some of them as if I am looking at a complicated version of colouring in the lines of a colouring book which is perhaps what brings about the ability to stop demanding perfection of myself, halt the overly critical eye and simply create.  I have hesitated for a long time before attempting mosaics for the simple fact that it seemed like a lot of work finding broken tiles, working through colours and dealing with grout.  Fact is that it is a lot of work and it may not even be that but more the cost of starting out that's intimidating, but it doesn't have to prevent you from doing it.  Do a quick google image search for "paper mosaics" and you will see what I am talking about.  Obviously they are not the gorgeous textured masterpieces we drool over in high end stores but they do retain quite a bit of the beauty of their heavier counterparts and for a fraction of the cost.  A thing to keep in mind when creating these is that adding a high gloss coating over top will not only protect them but also make them look very similar to some of the tile versions as well.
 I have seen some paper mosaics that were absolutely gorgeous and I questioned the ability to create something so detailed out of any items other then paper.  The best tip I have seen for collecting coloured paper is to go to the hardware store or paint supply store and pick up a bunch of free paint chips.  when working with a given colour pick up as many different shades of that colour as possible and you'll be sure to surprise even yourself with how creative you can be. 
I'm only just starting to gather a few ideas for images I'd like to try and will be picking up some paint chips myself this weekend so I will be sure to keep you posted on how it goes.  I think what I'm going to aim for to start is just a few picture frames, or mirrors with well blended colour frames.  I'll probably pick up some of those plain frames from the dollar store and work with those to begin until I get the hang of it and figure out any preferences.
 I can't wait to post up some pictures of what I end up with and I'm hoping it will be something I can add to my Christmas baskets.  If you haven't guessed it's all a trial run to see what I can make on a mass scale and decide if there's a way to market it somehow at a later point.  There are step by step guides all over the net so if any of you decide to give it a go then I'd love to see some pictures or hear some feedback on how it went.  As always tips, tricks and comments are welcome. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment