Finding the middle ground between Martha Stewart and Lindsay Lohan

There IS a middle ground. Much like one of the world's most beloved (and often times controversial) musical icons, Madonna has danced across that middle ground from one extreme to the next and has shown that one does not need to choose a side and that the best of both worlds can be embraced. To be a mother and enjoy baking with the kiddies and to enjoy wearing next to nothing while dancing on a stage in front of millions are not two personalities that must exist exclusive of each other.

For those of us who are through with the competition for mother of the year but still like to garden, for all you die hard party animals who've had their fill of borderline alcoholism and dancing but still cling to your collection of scandalous evening wear, we find ourselves here, stumbling over the stepping stones of those daring enough to go before us. For all you Marthas out there its time to bust out the bar tops and for all you Lindsays its time for some oven mits (and perhaps a fire extinguisher). Have no fear, if The Rock can be a Tooth Fairy then anything is possible!

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Pumpkin seeds!!

I'm not really sure when I started such a crazy tradition but I do know it comes from something to do with the fact that by the time I was having children I wasn't much past being a child myself.  Either way every Halloween instead of buying only a single pumpkin we have always bought one for every person in the family.  In the beginning it was a little extra carving that was all in good fun but after our family has grown to include four little boys whose requests for amazing carvings is endless I'm starting to wonder what I was thinking.  It's well worth the effort to see how happy it makes them but man o man talk about a time consuming, messy, hand cramping tradition!  And let's not forget that where there is pumpkin carving (especially on such a mass scale)there is muck sorting and then seed roasting to be done!
I just got through sorting and washing and the first batch is in the oven.  I never actually checked for methods or different seasoning ideas online before as I was always a fan of basic salted but I may try something different this year.  I happen to have a small jar of spices left over from when I attempted to make apple chips so I might throw that on top of a batch and see how it goes.  I'm hoping with all the nutmeg it might taste like pumpkin pie.  The ones I have in right now I used fresh ground black pepper and sea salt, even the pepper is a new twist I haven't tried before so I guess I haven't been vary daring with my pumpkin seeds!
I'm looking forward to the finished product more this year then others for a different reason though.  This year is our first year living in the country and although we are somewhat strapped for cash having just bought a new house, I'm looking forward to Christmas gift giving for the simple fact that I have not and will not buy anything for anyone.  No I haven't turned into scrooge but I have made the decision to hand make (not including the kids) all of our gifts.  More on that in another blog but for now I will definitely share the fact that these pumpkin seeds are going to be going out to family and friends as part of the holiday gift giving.  Can't wait!
All the ideas that have been evolving since moving out to the country are phenomenal but I have to say there's few things that bring me right back to my childhood faster then carving pumpkins and roasting seeds.  The best part is it's something that was passed to me by my parents that I'm sharing with my kids and I hope they will pass onto to their children.  Nothing beats old fashioned traditions and with the face of modern families changing so much It's that much more important to keep things like this going.  Roast away everyone, and feel free to share any tips tricks or recipes that you use for your pumpkin seeds at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment