Finding the middle ground between Martha Stewart and Lindsay Lohan

There IS a middle ground. Much like one of the world's most beloved (and often times controversial) musical icons, Madonna has danced across that middle ground from one extreme to the next and has shown that one does not need to choose a side and that the best of both worlds can be embraced. To be a mother and enjoy baking with the kiddies and to enjoy wearing next to nothing while dancing on a stage in front of millions are not two personalities that must exist exclusive of each other.

For those of us who are through with the competition for mother of the year but still like to garden, for all you die hard party animals who've had their fill of borderline alcoholism and dancing but still cling to your collection of scandalous evening wear, we find ourselves here, stumbling over the stepping stones of those daring enough to go before us. For all you Marthas out there its time to bust out the bar tops and for all you Lindsays its time for some oven mits (and perhaps a fire extinguisher). Have no fear, if The Rock can be a Tooth Fairy then anything is possible!

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Encaustic Painting

I have big plans to do this paper mosaic craft without a doubt but  found some really cool stuff online while I was searching for inspiration.  My brother in law just got married and I had it in my mind to make something really fancy as far as a frame goes.  I had thought to do the paper mosaic but it somehow didn't seem like something that would fit in with their sense of personal taste.  They just moved into a brand new upscale condo and have very modern tastes so it's one of those things where I have to steer clear of anything that's going to look to artsy fartsy.  In reality I do like crafts and art but I certainly don't like things that LOOK like crafts or something that would be found in my grandmothers house.
 Anyway I found something called encaustc painting and the stuff some of these people are producing is just beautiful.  Basically they are painting with wax and creating different effects by using techniques involving embedding objects, using flow pens, scraping etc.  You can see different examples and perhaps learn more about it at www.ecaustic.com
I have gathered some images I liked of couples hands and feet entwined as well as a couple shots of people doing the tango, all in black and white and I'm trying to decide how to use them.  There's a technique with the encaustic painting where they transfer black and white images onto a surface that has been waxed and then sort of clear coat it which looks like I might be able to do something with so I think I may give that a shot.  So many ideas it's no wonder I take so long deciding which one to try first.  It will still likely be the mosaic I try first as it's a cheaper option I can do with very little start up cost as opposed to having to go out and buy wax, but its something I definitely want to try in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment